Unearthing intellectual property with an advice slip

©          ®  ℗  ™

Clearing out boxes of papers, invoices and receipts again this week and I came across a remittance advice slip from the Musicians’ Union. It was for a PPL distribution payment and gives an insight into how the European Union has given clarity to the giving out of money for recording performance royalties to the musicians that were on the sessions. The text printed on the advice slip reads:

“Until 1989, under an Agreement with the record manufacturers dating back to 1946 the [Musicians’] Union received periodic ex gratia payments of 12.5% of Phonographic Performance Limited’s nett licensing revenue in order to compensate performers for the loss of employment due to record use. PPL is the organisation which licenses, on behalf of record companies, commercial sound recordings that are either broadcast or played in public. Over many years this collective payment has been used by the Union to provide services for all members as well as providing employment opportunities by our continued commitment to loans, grants and sponsorship of music projects and organisations. A radical change to these payments came about in 1989 as a result of the Monopolies & Mergers Commission Report on the licensing Policies of PPL which, amongst other things, recommended that there should be a change to the existing agreement in that for the future ordinary session type musicians should receive a share of PPL’s license revenue. As a result of intensive, protracted & difficult discussions undertaken by the Union with PPL Limited & the Department of Trade & Industry it has been accepted that the Union should distribute this revenue, based on information & additional research undertaken by the Union, & therefore the payment below represents a proportion of 12.5% of net licensing revenue received by the Union from PPL for their licensing period 1st June 1989 to 31st May 1992. This payment is not subject to VAT. Further payments may be due to you under this arrangement until such time as performers receive a statutory entitlement to receive remuneration as a result of EC Directive 92/100.”


If you perform on a record, you are an “ordinary session type musician”. Register with the PPL as a performer and remember to make a note of what tracks and albums you are on, what instrument(s) you played on the tracks, who was the artist, producer, recording company… and as many more details as possible about the session as you can. There is administration to be done but if it pays it could be worth it in the long run. http://www.ppluk.com/I-Make-Music/

For those who can understand the legislation, EC Directive 92/100 can be found at http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text.jsp?file_id=126885 If you are interested in the Musicians’ Union http://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/


About derangeddrums

Composer, percussionist, musical director, teacher and educator. My music has been written for audiences in palaces and in the street. Music is my vocation and my passion and I hope you enjoy it too.
This entry was posted in Music Composition and Performance and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s